Now that 2012 has come and gone it's time to check in on how that word met my needs. If you haven't figured it out already, 2012 was a pretty amazing year for me professionally. A lot of incredible opportunities came my way and I took full advantage of as many of them as I could. Along the way I struggled with many things too. Keeping the word CAN at the front of my brain each and every day helped me get through it all.
It's time for me to chose a word for 2013. I must admit I don't really want to let go of the word CAN so I don't think I will but it will no longer be my focus word. For 2012 my focus word will be BALANCE. I think with my professional explosion some where along the way I lost some of my balance. I have and will always have interests in many different areas in my life. I LOVE to learn. I LOVE to meet new people. I LOVE to share. But sometimes, along the way I get so wrapped up in one area I'm passionate about that I lose balance in others.
This past year I'd have to say I was out of balance. Work was a big part of my world. Now that was not in a bad way, I love what I do, I love spending time learning and getting better at what I'm doing, but I love a lot of other things too. But to be honest with myself I spent way too much time reading professional books and not enough time reading pleasure books. I had hours and hours of conversations professionally but not nearly as many personally. It's a big part of who I am though, I like to do my best and I like to exceed expectations. Those expectations are placed on me by me. I'm lucky though, really lucky in fact, because I have really fantastic friends and they let me do what I was happy doing. But I miss being in better balance. With that in mind in 2013 I will...
- better BALANCE the time I spend between work and pleasure
- better BALANCE the time I spend between inside and outside
- better BALANCE the time I spend between being active and being at rest
- better BALANCE the time I spend on line and off line
- better BALANCE the time I spend between saying YES and saying NO (or at least thinking a bit longer before saying YES so quickly)
- better BALANCE the number of projects I get my class involved with (not limiting but thinking about before moving forward with them)
- better BALANCE the foods that I eat - thankfully I really love healthy food but even too much healthy food isn't a good thing.
- better BALANCE myself.