|Getting Smaller by Kaptain Kobold
So my brain started spinning as I came up with different ways for my students to practice and show their knowledge. I wanted to have activities that were very hands on, activities that included the technology we have available to us, and activities that were more structured. My students will also have the choice of working on their own or with a partner or small group. Here's what I've come up with:
- Build a Home for a Bear - in this station the students will build a home, using blocks (or some other item if they chose) that is large enough to house one of our stuffed reading buddies. Once the home is complete the student will measure the dimensions of the home. There is an option to use a camera to record the house, and then label the house with its measurements. Or this recording can be done just by voice, on a white board, on paper or in what ever way works best for the student(s).
- Cover the Metre Stick - in this station the students will spin a spinner then measure the corresponding item. With that measurement the student will stack items along a metre stick equivalent to the item measured. They will continue to build alongside of the metre stick until it's covered.
- Magic Number iMovie - in this station the students will chose a specific length (say 10 cm, or 20 cim) and find objects around the room that are that length. They will then take a photo of that object. Once enough objects are found, and there are enough photos they will create a simple movie in iMovie. They will be able to add their voices to the movie to explain what they did.
- Watch Me Measure - in this station the students will find objects of their choice to measure. They will measure and take a picture of what they have measured. They will add these pictures to the Educreations app and write a sentence to go with their picture stating what they measure, and how long (short, high, tall etc..) the object is. Adding voice is also an option. Once the photos are collected and documented this can be added to their individual blog.
- Measure Me - in this station the students will trace their body (or that of a friends) on REALLY BIG paper. Then they will measure different parts of their body and record it on their life sized version of them selves.
- Looking for Objects - in this station the students will have a paper with specific lengths on it. They will have to go around the room and find items that fit under each specific length.